At the finish of the San Juan River as it dumps into the Caribbean Sea is one of the rainiest and remote areas of Central America. Here bird life is very rich and much of the bird watching is done from boat. Species include the Great green macaw, King Vulture, Slaty-tailed Trogon and Green honeycreeper.
Please see Indio Maíz Reserve Bird List.
Come enjoy the fabulous bird life of Nicaragua’s Indio-Maíz Biological Reserve, 4,000 square kilometers of virgin rainforest and wildlife we take you in 12 seat single prop Cessna to the luxury wilderness outpost of Rio Indio Lodge on the pristine Bay of San Juan. Indio-Maiz can be enjoyed on your own or with the assistance of one of our birding guides.
Flights are Thu and Sun only so this trip is based on Sat arrival to Managua, Sun flight to the rain forest and Thurs flight to Managua, with Fri flight home. This unique birding experience can also be combined with dry forest and cloud forest reserves on the Pacific if you wish to enjoy a two week Nicaragua bird watching vacation.
Nicaragua Rain Forest Birding Itinerary
- Sat | Day 01: Managua
- Airport greeting and transfer to the Hotel Elements for guided birding and Hotel Los Robles for self-guided tour.
- Sun | Day 02: Managua – Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve
- Breakfast and transfer to airport for domestic flight in Cessna Caravan 208B to the remote airport of Greytown on the Nicaraguan south Caribbean coast. Private boat transfer to the raised walkways and private screen porches of the Rio Indio Lodge a paradise for rain forest birding on the Bay of San Juan. Afternoon birdwatching on your own or with our guide.
- Mon | Day 03: Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve – Laguna Silica
- Breakfast at the lodge and early private motorboat departure Laguna Silica for bird watching. Lunch at Rio Indio Lodge, afternoon birding near the lodge, dinner at Rio Indio.
- Tue | Day 04: Bay Of San Juan
- All meals and lodging at Rio Indio Lodge. Birding on trails near the hotel.
- Wed | Day 05: Indio River, Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve
- Early breakfast and departure up the Río Indio for birding in boat. Visit to Rama Indian settlement inside the reserve and birding on their hiking trail. Afternoon birding from the lodge. All meals and lodging at the Rio Indio Lodge.
- Thu | Day 06: Bay Of San Juan – Managua
- Breakfast and private boat transfer to the airport at Greytown. Cessna Caravan 208B flight to Managua. Airport greeting in Managua and hotel shuttle to Hotel Las Mercedes for self-guided trips and private transfer to Hyatt Place for guided tours.
- Fri | Day 07: Managua
- Breakfast and hotel shuttle for self-guided tours and private transfer to international airport for guided trips for flight home.
Birding Nicaragua’s Indio Maíz Rainforest Includes
- Assistance of an English speaking birding guide for guided trips
- Assistance of selected local guides for both levels of tours
- All guide expenses
- Private ground transportation with a/c and professional driver (self-guided uses shuttle for final MGA transfers)
- All driver expenses
- Cessna Grand Caravan 208B flight: Managua – Greytown
- Cessna Grand Caravan 208B flight: Greytown – Managua
- Domestic flight taxes
- 2 nights lodging at Hotel Los Robles or Elements/Hyatt Place in Managua
- 4 nights lodging at the Río Indio Lodge in San Juan Bay
- All meals on the river
- Boat transfers: Greytown airport – Rio Indio Lodge – Greytown airport
- Birding in the rainforest of the Indio Maíz Biological Reserve
- Birding on Rio Indio by boat
- Birding at Laguna Silica by boat
- Birding in boat on the bay of San Juan
- All park admissions
- 17% hotel taxes for all lodging
Rates & Booking Details
- All birding in Nicaragua tours are private and can begin any day of the year.
- Rainforest birding costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates; please specify number when requesting a quote and if you wish self-guided or guided.
- Custom rainforest birding tour itineraries are available upon request.
Rain Forest Birding does not Include
- Drinks, international flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas, or medical treatment.
- Meals except breakfast in Managua.