Nicaragua art & history, volcanic nature, lake & Pacific beach
Book A Tour
14 days – 13 nights
Discover Nicaragua is a two week holiday for those who travel to learn about cultures, experience real nature and finish relaxing under a tropical sun. It is a combination of cultural touring, ecotourism and down time to relax on the beach. Discover and then recharge your batteries. This is a diverse experience with visits to coffee haciendas, highland villages, colonial cities, artisan villages, cloud forests, volcanoes, volcanic islands, great lakes, fresh water beaches and Pacific Ocean beaches. Nicaragua offers such vacations, ones that are full of real culture, real nature and genuine relaxation. We invite you to enjoy travel off the beaten path, to discover Nicaragua in comfort without the hassle of planning and logistics.
Two Week Nature, Culture & Beach Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua
- Airport greeting by our professional driver for private transfer to restaurant district of Managua and lodging at selected Hotel.
- Day 02: Managua – Matagalpa – Selva Negra
- Breakfast and tour of the nation’s capital of Managua with visits to key political and cultural sites, including its historic center and to see the incredible footprints left by the Managua residents of 4,000 BC. Transfer north along the eastern shores of Lake Managua into the heart of the coffee growing northern mountains Matagalpa for lodging in the private nature reserve and organic coffee hacienda of Selva Negra Mountain Resort.
- Day 03: Selva Negra
- Breakfast and morning guided nature walk with local guide and afternoon eco-hacienda or organic coffee tour. Lodging at Selva Negra.
- Day 04: Selva Negra – Estelí – San Jacinto – Leon
- Breakfast and transfer to a gourmet artisan chocolate factory, where high-grade organic Nicaraguan cocoa is transformed into handmade chocolates. Continue to the cigar capital of Central America, Estelí. Visit to a small handmade cigar operation to learn about this unique process (Mon-Fri only) or a culture tour of the city with visits to the revolutionary heroes’ hall, pre-Colombian museum and cathedral. Continue towards the Pacific Coast to the 21 strong Maribios Volcanic Range, 5 of which are active. Stop at the village of San Jacinto, in the middle of the densely active Maribios Volcano chain, to visit with its population and see their fumarolic fields, the result of water being super heated on a volcanic vein beneath the earth’s surface. Transfer to León current location, founded in 1610. Lodging in the historic city center at selected Hotel.
- Day 05: Leon – Leon Viejo – Granada
- Breakfast at hotel and morning walking tour of Nicaragua’s intellectual and artistic capital colonial León, with visits to the world famous poet Rubén Darío’s house, a colonial home art gallery, some of the city’s 12 colonial period churches, which includes Central America’s grandest cathedral. Transfer the base of the smoking Momotombo Volcano and the archaeological site of León Viejo, now declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site. León Viejo was Nicaragua’s first capital before being destroyed by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions in the late 16th century. Complete historical tour of this ancient colonial locale. Transfer to Central America’s oldest European settlement, early 16th century Granada. Granada is quickly becoming a must visit for travelers to Central America for its unique beauty, relaxed atmosphere and great dining possibilities. Private tour of lake front Granada’s colonial beauty, history and art. Lodging in historic center at selected Hotel.
- Day 06: Granada
- Breakfast and lodging at selected hotel. Day free to enjoy Granada or take an optional tour.
- Day 07: Granada – Ometepe Island
- Breakfast and private transfer with your private guide to San Jorge for the ferry to the dual-volcano island of Ometepe. Dock greeting and transfer around the active cone of Concepción to Santo Domingo Beach. Lodging at San Juan de la Isla. Afternoon nature walk or relax.
- Day 08: Ometepe Island – Maderas Volcano
- Breakfast at Hotel and transfer to the Maderas Volcano nature reserve for guided hiking in the cloud forest reserve. Return to Playa Santo Domingo in the afternoon to relax.
- Day 09: Ometepe Island – San Juan Del Sur
- Breakfast and transfer to Moyogalpa for the ferry to the mainland. Dock greeting in San Jorge and transfer to the lovely half-moon bay on the Nicaragua Pacific, San Juan del Sur. Lodging in San Juan del Sur at selected beach hotel.
- Day 10-12: San Juan Del Sur
- Breakfasts and days free to enjoy the beach. Lodging at selected beach Hotel.
- Day 13: San Juan Del Sur – Apoyo Crater Lake – Masaya Market + Volcano – Managua
- Breakfast at hotel and transfer with our guide and professional driver north to Managua for lodging at selected Hotel. Visits in route to the deep blue Laguna de Apoyo at Catarina, Masaya artisan’s Market and Masaya Volcano National Park to see inside the active crater of Santiago.
- Day 14: Managua
- Breakfast at the hotel and private transfer to airport for flight home.
Discover Nicaragua Tour Includes
- All transfers in private vehicle with a/c and driver
- All driver expenses
- Assistance of an English speaking guide on tour days
- All guide expenses
- 2 nights lodging at selected Hotel in Managua
- 1 night lodging at selected Hotel in León
- 2 nights lodging at selected Hotel in Granada
- 2 nights lodging at Selva Negra Mountain Resort in Matagalpa
- 2 nights lodging at San Juan de la Isla in Ometepe Island
- 4 nights lodging at selected beach Hotel in San Juan del Sur
- All breakfasts
- Walking tour of León’s art and history
- Historical tour of León Viejo
- Walking tour of colonial Granada
- Hacienda or Coffee tour
- Estelí culture tour or Cigar tour
- Visit to village of San Jacinto
- Visit to Masaya Market
- Visit to mesa village of Catarina
- Visit to Volcán Masaya National Park
- Hiking on Maderas Volcano on Ometepe
- All museum and park admissions
- 17% hotel taxes
Selected Hotels Guide
- Base hotels for this tour are Hotel La Recolección or Cacique Adiact in León; Hotel Patio del Malinche or Colonial in Granada, San Juan de la Isla in Ometepe in ranch room, Hotel Holiday Express or Los Robles in Managua, lagoon room at Selva Negra in Matagalpa and Posada Azul in San Juan del Sur.
- Upgrade hotels for this tour are Hotel El Convento in León, Hotel Plaza Colón in Granada, San Juan de la Isla in Ometepe in lake front cabin, Hotel Hyatt Place or Elements in Managua, cloud forest cabin at Selva Negra in Matagalpa and Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa in San Juan del Sur.
Rates & Booking Details
- All tours are private and can begin any day of the year.
- Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates; please specify number when requesting a quote.
- Custom tour itineraries are available upon request.
Tour does not Include
- Drinks, lunch or dinner.
- International flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas, or medical treatment.