This low-key Nicaragua vacation is perfect for travelers that want to have some guided tours of Nicaragua’s most famous sites, but also have time on their own to wander colonial streets. For Nicaragua sightseeing this is a way to be well taken care of and still have some time on your own. While we can make “downtime” a part of any Nicaragua sightseeing, ecotour or Nicaragua vacation package, we offer this version as a sample of how to mix solo sightseeing in Nicaragua with guided tours of keys sites.
Nicaragua’s colonial capital of León was founded in the early 17th century is home to more than 12 colonial period churches, each one unique in its design from tiny parish size chapels to the mighty Cathedral, Central America’s largest church. Granada is one of Latin America’s most beautiful colonial cities. This ancient town on the shores of mighty Lake Nicaragua is full of history and Spanish colonial charm and is one of the oldest European settlements in the western hemisphere. The program also includes a stop in the folklore center of Masaya for shopping at its renowned open-air market of fine hand made crafts and visits the 5 crater complex at the Masaya Volcano National Park for a look inside of the very active Santiago Crater.
Best of Nicaragua Tour Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua
- Airport greeting by professional driver and private transfer to restaurant district of Managua at selected hotel.
- Day 02: Managua – Leon Viejo – Leon
- Private transfer with English speaking guide to the UNESCO world heritage site of León Viejo to examine the ruins of Nicaragua’s early colonial capital at the foot of the smoking Momotombo Volcano. Travel further north along the volcanoes of León to the rural village of San Jacinto, in the middle of the densely active Maribios Volcano chain, to visit with its population and see their fumarolic fields, the result of water being superheated on a volcanic vein beneath the earth’s surface. Transfer to León current location, founded in 1610 for a culture and history tour of this ancient city. Lodging in the historic city center at selected hotel.
- Day 03: Leon
- Breakfast at hotel and day free to explore León. Lodging at selected hotel.
- Day 04: Leon – Masaya Volcano + Market – Granada
- Breakfast at hotel and private transfer with English speaking guide south to the he active cone of Santiago at the Masaya Volcano National Park for hiking or just observing the inside of this big smoking crater. Continue to the historic city of Masaya, populated for more than 3,000 years and the arrival of the Spanish in the early 16th century organized the local artisans in small workshops for export. Masaya makes the world’s finest hammocks, as well as wood, leather and clothing goods, all created by hand. Masaya’s friendly population has restored their 19th century outdoor indigenous market for the sale of their hand made goods. After shopping in the market, transfer to Central America’s oldest European settlement, early 16th century Granada. Private tour of lake front Granada’s colonial beauty. Lodging in the historic center at selected hotel.
- Days 05-06: Granada
- Breakfasts at hotel and two full days to soak up the history and relax in colonial Granada with lodging at selected hotel in the historic center. There are many possible optional tours to take from Granada which your guide can discuss and recommend. (optional tours not included in costs)
- Day 07: Granada – Managua
- Breakfast at Hotel and private transfer with our driver to airport for flight home.
Best of Nicaragua Tour Includes
- All transfers in private vehicle with a/c and driver
- All driver expenses
- Assistance of an English speaking guide on tour days
- All guide expenses
- 1 night lodging at selected hotel in Managua
- 2 nights lodging at selected hotel in León
- 3 nights lodging at selected hotel in Granada
- All breakfasts
- Walking tour of León’s art and history
- Historical tour of León Viejo
- Walking tour of colonial Granada Visit to village of San Jacinto
- Visit to Masaya Market
- Visit to Volcán Masaya National Park
- All museum and park admissions
- 17% hotel taxes
Selected Hotels Guide
- Base hotels for this tour are Hotel La Recolección or Cacique Adiact in León; Hotel Patio del Malinche or Colonial in Granada and Hotel Holiday Express or Los Robles in Managua.
- Upgrade hotels for this tour are Hotel El Convento in León, Hotel Plaza Colón in Granada and Hotel Hyatt Place or Elements in Managua.
Rates & Booking Details
- Custom made Nicaragua vacation itineraries are available upon request.
- All tours are private and can begin any day of the year.
- Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party. Please specify target visit dates and number of people when requesting a quote.
Best of Nicaragua Vacation does not Include
- Drinks, lunch or dinner.
- International flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas, or medical treatment.