Bird watching in Nicaragua is very rewarding for those birding enthusiasts who love tropical birds and want to visit someplace authentic. Birding Nicaragua is a program that features the superb tropical dry forest private nature reserve of Montibelli and the northern cloud forest private reserve of El Jaguar. Both reserves afford easy access to numerous species unique to the region. We also visit the El Chocoyero wildlife refuge, Lake Apanás and Selva Negra private reserve in this trip. Nicaragua is at the crossroads of bird species in the Americas with more species unique to Central America than any other country. Nicaragua birdwatching is a genuine experience where you bird watch in family owned nature reserves and then sit down to a dinner with the owners of the reserve at night. At El Jaguar some of the beautiful resident species include the Blue Bunting, Crimson-collared Tanager, Resplendent Quetzal and Three-wattled Bellbird. Montibelli species include Nicaragua’s national bird, the Turquoise-browed Motmot as well as the Elegant Trogon, Barred Antshrike and Long-tailed Manakin. We invite you to Nicaragua for some great birding.
Bird Watching in Nicaragua Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua – Montibelli Private Nature Reserve
- Airport greeting by private transport for transfer to the Montibelli private nature reserve for lodging in rustic cabins with private bath and forest views.
- Day 02: Montibelli – Chocoyero Nature Reserve – Montibelli
- Morning birding and afternoon visit to the rich canyon nature reserve of El Chocoyero, home to more than a thousand cliff dwelling parakeets. All meals and lodging at Montibelli.
- Day 03: Montibelli – El Jaguar Private Nature Reserve
- Breakfast at the reserve and private transfer north into the remote mountains of Jinotega and the El Jaguar private nature reserve. Lunch in route and dinner at the reserve. Lodging in rustic cabins with private bath and forest view.
- Days 04-05: El Jaguar Private Nature Reserve- Lake Apanas
- Birdwatching at El Jaguar. With a visit in motorboat to Lake Apanás for birdwatching. All meals provided by the reserve, lodging in cabin.
- Day 06: El Jaguar – Selva Negra – Managua
- Breakfast at the reserve and private transfer south to Managua with bird watching in route at the Selva Negra Mountain Resort. Lodging at the Hotel Los Robles in Managua.
- Day 07: Managua
- Private transfer to airport for flight home.
Birding in Nicaragua Includes
- All transfers in private vehicle with a/c and driver
- All driver expenses
- Assistance of birding guides at nature reserves
- All guide expenses
- All meals at when at Montibelli and El Jaguar
- Breakfast in Managua
- 1 night lodging at the Hotel Los Robles in Managua
- 2 nights lodging at Montibelli nature reserve in cabin
- 3 nights lodging at El Jaguar nature reserve in cabin
- Entrance fees to nature reserves and nature parks
- 17% taxes for all lodging nights
Rates & Booking Details
- All bird watching visits are private and can begin any day of the year.
- Visit costs depend on the number of birders in your party and visit dates; please specify when requesting a quote.
- Custom bird watching packages and itineraries are offered upon request.
Birdwatching in Nicaragua Trip does not Include
- Lunch and dinner when not at Montibelli and El Jaguar.
- International flights, airport taxes or tips.