Experience what few travelers have before. Hike and climb the thorny spine of Nicaragua’s extraordinary Maribios Volcanoes. A trek with ascents of all 5 active volcanoes in the range. This is a trekking trip that only Nicaragua can offer, so many beautiful active volcanoes, so close together and so accessible. Volcanic Obsession is a trek from the active San Cristobal Volcano, Nicaragua highest to the perfect cone of the active Momotombo Volcano, subject of poets’ verses for centuries. Both San Cristobal Volcano and Momotombo Volcano (volcanic activity permitting) will be climbed and we will also examine fierce little Cerro Negro Volcano, the mysterious El Hoyo Volcano and the breathtaking Telica Volcano, all of which are active cones. All the climbs are non-technical, but not for the weak of heart. This hiking experience includes one night of camping on the slopes of the Momotombo Volcano and 5 nights in a comfortable hotel in León. This is rural hiking and climbing for trekkers in good condition, hikers who are lovers of the earth’s irrepressible power and untamed natural beauty. Your senses just might erupt.
Nicaragua Climbing and Hiking Tour Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua – Leon
- Airport greeting by private transportation and transfer to León just west of the mighty Maribios Volcano Range. Lodging at selected Hotel in León.
- Day 02: Telica Volcano – Santa Clara Volcano
- Morning transfer to the north flank of the active Telica Volcano for the hike to the summit. Trek across the back side of the cone and into the highland valley of the Santa Clara Volcano, finishing at the fumaroles of San Jacinto. Pack lunch in route. Lodging at selected Hotel in León.
- Day 03: San Cristobal Volcano – Leon
- Breakfast and 4×4 transfer to the north base of the active cone of San Cristóbal for guided climb of Nicaragua’s highest volcano. Lodging at selected Hotel in León.
- Day 04: Cerro Negro Volcano – El Tigre Crater Lake
- Early departure for the black sand, gravel and lava rock Cerro Negro Volcano slopes. Guided climb to the summit on the cones north side with a west face foot sliding decent or volcano boarding for those who wish. Continue to the secluded crater lake, Laguna El Tigre for swimming. Pack lunch in route. Lodging at selected Hotel in León.
- Day 05: Momotombo Volcano (Or El Hoyo Volcano If Momotombo Is Too Active)
- Breakfast and early transfer to the active Momotombo Volcano. Guided climbing on the Momotombo Volcano to mid-way camp point. Camping on the slopes of the volcano, inside the cone’s forest. Lunch, dinner and camping gear provided.
- Day 06: Momotombo Volcano – Leon
- Climb to the summit of Momotombo Volcano for the most spectacular view in Central America. A breathtaking vista of the Maribios Volcano Range, the volcanoes to Nicaragua’s south and the great lakes of Nicaragua. Descent and transfer for lodging at selected Hotel in León.
- Day 07: Leon – Managua
- Breakfast and transfer to Managua airport for flight home.
Nicaragua Volcano Climbing and Hiking Tour Includes
- 5 nights lodging at selected Hotel in León
- 1 night camping on Momotombo or El Hoyo Volcano
- All land transfers and 4×4 support vehicles
- All breakfasts and lunches
- All meals when camping
- All nature park admissions
- Expert mountain guides
- All guide expenses
- 4.5 liters of water per day per hiker
- Climb of San Cristobal Volcano
- Climb of Telica Volcano
- Climb of Cerro Negro Volcano
- Climb of El Hoyo Volcano
- Climb of Momotombo or El Hoyo Volcano
- Swimming in El Tigre Crater Lake
Selected Hotels Guide
- Base hotels for this tour are Hotel La Recolección or Cacique Adiact in León.
- Upgrade hotel for this tour is Hotel El Convento in León.
- All volcano trekking tours are private and can begin any day of the year.
Rates & Booking Details
- Volcano hiking Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates; please specify number and dates when requesting a quote.
- Custom volcano climbing and hiking tour itineraries are available upon request.
Nicaragua Hiking Tour does not Include
- Dinners except when camping.
- International flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas and medical treatment.
- Guide for airport transfers.