Nicaragua is home to a great biodiversity. This trip highlights the unique nature of specialized tropical ecosystems like tropical dry forest and cloud forest. With the assistance of a Tours Nicaragua biologist or naturalist guide this flora and fauna tour allows you to peel back the layers of the extraordinary biodiversity that Nicaragua’s nature parks preserve. The world’s most endangered tropical ecosystem is the tropical dry forest, with less than 10% of its original coverage in Central America still intact. At both Montibelli and El Chocoyero this highly specialized ecosystem where plants and animals must continually adapt to survive 6 months of drought and 6 months of hard rains annually, is a true beauty of natural engineering and home to many unique species. At Selva Negra, Cerro Arenal and Datanlí you will enjoy the fresh mountain climate and highly diverse evergreen forest that is teeming with animals and home to special trees and plants that depend on the moisture from clouds to survive. Come and enjoy the biodiversity of Nicaragua on a private tour with one of our expert guides, it is an experience you will never forget.
Nicaragua Flora and Fauna Eco Tour Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua – Montibelli Private Nature Reserve
- Greeting at the airport by private transport and transfer to the Sierra Managua mountain range and the low mountain private nature reserve of Montibelli. Lodging in private cabin.
- Day 02: Montibelli – Chocoyero Nature Reserve – Montibelli
- Country breakfast and birding with local expert guide. Lunch at the reserve and private transfer with English speaking guide to the tiny and nature rich canyon nature reserve of El Chocoyero, home to howler monkeys, agouti, toucans and more than a thousand cliff dwelling Chocoyos (Nicaraguan for green parakeet). Return to Montibelli for dinner and lodging in cabin.
- Day 03: Montibelli – Selva Negra Private Nature Reserve
- Country breakfast and private transfer with naturalist guide to Selva Negra private cloud forest reserve in Matagalpa. Guided nature walking in the cloud forest reserve. Lodging at Selva Negra.
- Day 04: Selva Negra – Cerro Arenal Nature Reserve
- Breakfast and private transfer to the misty peaks of the Cerro Arenal Nature Reserve, home to the Resplendent Quetzal and other unique birds and flora for hiking through the reserve and down into the Selva Negra private nature reserve. In the afternoon a eco-hacienda tour to learn how the most ecologically sustainable farm in Central America operates it various sources of income in complete harmony with the environment. Lodging at Selva Negra.
- Day 05: Selva Negra – La Esmeralda & La Bastilla, Datanlí
- Breakfast and private transfer to the magnificent cloud forest waterfall of La Bujona in La Esmeralda in the Datanlí Nature Reserve. Continue to the northwest side of Datanlí for afternoon bird watching and lodging in cabin at La Bastilla.
- Day 06: La Bastilla – Biological Station, Datanlí – Managua
- Breakfast and private transfer to the biological station in the northern part of Datanlí for nature hiking in this world-class cloud forest reserve, at a place of important research of highland species of flora and fauna. Lunch at the biological station and private transfer to Managua for lodging at selected hotel in Managua.
- Day 07: Managua
- Breakfast at hotel and private transfer to airport for flight home.
Nicaragua Flora and Fauna Tour Includes
- 2 nights lodging at the Montibelli Private Nature Reserve
- 2 nights lodging at Selva Negra Cloud Forest Reserve
- 1 night lodging at La Bastilla Ecolodge in Datanlí
- 1 night lodging at selected hotel in Managua
- All meals at Montibelli
- All breakfasts in the rest of the trip
- Private transfers in 4×4 or van with a/c and professional driver
- All driver expenses
- Assistance of an English speaking naturalist or biologist guide
- All guide expenses
- Assistance of local guides at Montibelli, Selva Negra, La Esmeralda and Datanlí
- 17% hotel taxes
- Admissions fees to parks and nature reserves
Selected Hotels Guide
- Base hotels: Lagoon room at Selva Negra, Cabin at La Bastilla and Montibelli, Holiday Express or Los Robles in Managua.
- Upgrade hotels: Lagoon room at Selva Negra, Cabin at La Bastilla and Montibelli, Hyatt Place or Elements in Managua.
- All tours are private.
Rates & Booking Details
- Tours can begin any day of the year providing hotel space is available.
- Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates.
- Please specify number of people and target dates when requesting a quote.
- Custom tour itineraries are available upon request.
Nicaragua Flora and Fauna does not Include
- Lunch and dinner when not at Montibelli.
- International flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips or medical treatment.