Granada & Masaya Extension
Colonial city, mesa villages & active volcano
Book A Tour
4 days – 3 nights
This private tour to Nicaragua via Costa Rica gives the visitor an in-depth look at the beauty and history of Granada with the aid of an expert English speaking guide.
A quiet tour of the city’s precious architecture and history is featured, as is lodging in a beautifully restored colonial home. In the hills behind Granada are the historic Chorotega Indian settlements that became colonial villages in the 16th century and maintain a rich mix of their pre-Columbian and Spanish colonial heritage.
The program includes a visit to some of these pueblos and their inhabitants, talented artisans who work in ways that have long since vanished in other parts of the world.
Villages such as San Juan de Oriente were fine earthenware is made. The program also includes a stop in the folklore center of Masaya for shopping at its restored 19th century Indian market and visit the 5 crater complex at the Masaya Volcano National Park for a look inside of the very active Santiago Crater, with a chance to see the volcano’s rare crater-dwelling parakeets which have managed to adapt to this toxic environment.
Granada and Masaya Costa Rica Extension Tour Itinerary
- Day 01: Peñas Blancas, Costa Rica – Granada, Nicaragua
- Border greeting at Peñas Blancas, Costa Rica and assistance with immigration and customs in Nicaragua. Transfer along the western shores of Central America’s largest lake, Lake Nicaragua, north. The route passes the massive dual volcano island of Ometepe via the isthmus of Rivas the historic land bridge that connected the two great continents north and south. Arrival to Central America’s oldest European settlement, early 16th century Granada. Granada is quickly becoming a must visit for travelers to Central America for its unique beauty, relaxed atmosphere and great dining possibilities. Private tour of lake front Granada’s colonial beauty, history and art. Lodging at selected Hotel.
- Day 02: Mesa Villages – Masaya – Granada
- Breakfast at Hotel and transfer to the ancient highland villages of “La Meseta”, for visits to the indigenous artisan’s workshops of Catarina, San Juan de Oriente and Masatepe. All these precious towns have colonial period houses and churches and a hardworking, native population. After the highland villages, transfer to the historic city of Masaya. Masaya has been populated for more than 3,000 years and the arrival of the Spanish in the early 16th century organized the local artisans in small workshops for export. The principle item was hammocks which are considered by many the world’s finest, as well as wood, leather and clothing goods, all created by hand. Masaya’s friendly population has restored their 19th century outdoor indigenous market for the sale of their hand made goods. After a visit to the market and a hammock maker’s shop transfer to the active cone of Santiago at the Masaya Volcano National Park for hiking or just observing the inside of this big smoking crater. Return to Granada lodging at selected hotel.
- Day 03: Granada – Mombacho Volcano Cloud Forest
- Breakfast and transfer with local guide to the summit of the dormant Mombacho Volcano on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, this misty forest offers many unique species of flora and fauna, and if clear offers stunning views of Latin America’s second biggest lake, Granada and the Las Isletas Archipelago. Hiking on the crater, Tigrillo or Puma trail with local expert. Return to Granada for lodging at selected hotel.
- Day 04: Granada – Peñas Blancas, Costa Rica
- Breakfast at Hotel and transfer south to the border Costa Rica at Peñas Blancas, end of services.
Costa Rica Extension Tour Includes
- All transfers in private vehicle with a/c and professional driver
- All driver expenses
- Assistance of one of our English speaking guides on Days 1 & 2
- All guide expenses
- Assistance of local guide for hiking on Mombacho
- 3 nights lodging at selected Granada Hotel
- Private tour of colonial Granada
- Private boat tour of Las Isletas
- Visit to Masaya Market
- Cloud forest tour of Mombacho
- Visit to mesa villages of San Juan de Oriente & Catarina
- Visit to Volcán Masaya National Park
- All museum and park admissions
- 17% taxes for all hotel nights
Rates & Booking Details
- Nicaragua Tours are private and can start and finish any day of the year.
- Nicaragua Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates; please specify when requesting a quote. Custom Nicaragua tour itineraries are available upon request.
Costa Rica Extension tour to Nicaragua does not Include
- Drinks, lunch or dinner.
- Guide assistance on Day 3.
- Border taxes.
- International flights or taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas, or medical treatment.