Nicaragua has some of the world’s most recent and spectacular geology. The Nicaraguan depression has created a mini-rift valley that is home to great lakes, active volcanoes and numerous crater lakes. Nicaragua has one of the world’s youngest volcanoes and numerous calderas and they are easily accessed from Nicaragua’s major towns. There is also an interesting contrast between rustic method gold mining and state of the art geothermal power, as well as some fun sports like kayaking, zip-lining and volcano sledding. This Nicaragua study tour is a way for students to get the most of their precious vacation time bringing their long hours of study to life with a very active geology tour. We invite geology professors to create their own itinerary or work with us in planning a special one that includes elements which they wish to emphasis. Below is an idea to get the juices flowing, a tour that is both fun and informative, an active tour of active geology.
Nicaragua Geology Study Tour Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua
- Airport greeting and transfer to Hotel Crowne Plaza in Managua. Welcome dinner in Managua.
- Day 02: Masaya Caldera – Apoyo Caldera – Granada
- Breakfast and morning transfer south to the 6,000 year old Masaya Caldera, now a national park with an active cone Santiago and numerous extinct cones and a crater lake. Continue to the 23,000 year old Apoyo Caldera, today the biggest of Nicaragua’s dozen crater lakes. Lodging in Granada at Hotel Darío.
- Day 03: Granada – Las Isletas – Mombacho Volcano
- Breakfast and tour of the Las Isletas Archipelago in kayak or motorboat in Lake Nicaragua. Transfer to the Mombacho Volcano for a zip-line tour in the canopy and then a hike in the cloud forest reserve. Lodging at Hotel Darío in Granada.
- Day 04: Granada – Leon
- Breakfast and transfer to the Maribios Volcano range for a visit to Lake Managua and Momotombo Volcano at León Viejo historic site. Continue to León for lodging at Hotel El Convento.
- Day 05: Leon – Cerro Negro Volcano – El Tigre Crater Lake
- Breakfast and transfer to the active Cerro Negro Volcano, the youngest in the hemisphere, less than 200 years old for a climb to summit and sledding down the west face. Continue to the El Tigre Crater Lake for a swim. Return to León for lodging at Hotel El Convento.
- Day 06: Leon – Mina La India – San Jacinto Geothermal Plant
- Breakfast and transfer to the artisan mining village of Mina La India, where rural gold miners eek out a living using centuries old techniques. Continue to the San Jacinto Geothermal plant to tour the plant and see real time energy output. Lodging in León at Hotel El Convento. Farewell dinner in León.
- Day 07: Leon – Managua
- Transfer to the international airport for flight home.
Study Tour Nicaragua – Active Geology Tour Includes
- All transfers in private bus with a/c and driver
- All driver expenses
- Full time assistance of English speaking guide
- Select use of local guides
- All guide expenses
- Breakfasts and two dinners (welcome & farewell)
- 1 night lodging at the Hotel Crowne Plaza in Managua
- 2 nights lodging at the Hotel Darío in Granada
- 3 nights lodging in Hotel El Convento in León
- All entrance fees to parks and museums
- 17% tax on all hotel nights
Rates & Booking Details
- Tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates.
- Please specify number of people and target dates when requesting a quote.
- Custom tour itineraries are available upon request.
Active Geology Tour does not Include
- Drinks and lunches.
- Dinners except welcome and farewell.
- International flights or airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips, visas, or medical treatment.