Nicaragua’s Reptiles & Amphibians
Herpetology Tour in Nicaragua
Book A Tour
(June Amphibians – Nov-March Reptiles)
7 days – 6 nights
For lovers of reptiles and/or amphibians this is rich experience. Tours Nicaragua has long accompanied the cutting edge of reptile and amphibian research in Nicaragua with two of our guides being working biologists specialized in this field: one of which holds a Masters and the other a Doctorate in herpetology. One of our two experts will guide this trip, catching and releasing species for you examine and providing in depth information. This is a diverse nature viewing trip with plenty of hands on experience with Nicaragua great reptile and amphibian diversity. Lodging is comfy, but simple and the wildlife is highly complex and unique. Join us for a chance to satisfy your passion or studies for herpetology up front, personal and in their natural habitats. This herpetology tour visits Nicaragua’s rain forest, wetlands, cloud forest and tropical dry forest ecosystems.
Herpetology in Nicaragua – A Reptile and Amphibian Itinerary
- Day 01: Managua
- Airport greeting and transfer to Hotel Las Mercedes in Managua for lodging.
- Day 02: Managua – San Carlos – San Juan River
- Breakfast and morning meeting with biologist or herpetologist guide for trip briefing. Transfer to domestic terminal for flight San Carlos. Taxi to dock and private motorboat transfer down the San Juaun River with wildlife viewing in route to El Castillo for dinner and lodging at Hotel Victoria. Night observation, collecting and releasing on the San Juan River.
- Day 03: Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve, San Juan River
- Breakfast and private boat transfer with expert guide to the pristine low land rain forest of Indio-Maiz for hiking and nature viewing. Chance to examine species like: caimans, basilisks, turtles, poison dart frogs, the red eyed tree frog, and leaf litter frogs, among many other species. Dinner and lodging at Hotel Victoria in El Castillo, Río San Juan.
- Day 04: San Juan River
- Breakfast and private boat transfer with guide to San Carlos for return flight. Airport greeting in Managua and private transfer with expert guide to León for lodging at Hotel El Convento.
- Day 05: Leon – Juan Venado Island Wildlife Refuge – Montibelli Nature Reserve
- Breakfast and private transfer with expert guide to the coastal estuary wildlife refuge of Juan Venado. This mangrove forest and wetlands is home to crocodiles, iguanas, and is an Olive Ridley sea turtle nesting site. Exploration in private motorboat or kayak. Continue to the private tropical dry forest reserve of Montibelli for dinner and lodging in cabin. Night observation, collecting and releasing in Montibelli.
- Day 06: Montibelli – Mombacho Volcano Reserve – Granada
- Breakfast and morning examination of reserve herpetology fauna. Transfer to Granada for check-in to hotel Patio del Malinche. Late afternoon and early evening visit to the summit of the Mombacho Volcano, home to endemic species like the Mombacho salamander, the red eyed tree frog, or the giant green anole. Night observation, collecting and releasing in Mombacho. Return to Granada for lodging at Hotel Plaza Colón.
- Day 07: Granada – Managua
- Breakfast at hotel and private transfer to airport for flight home.
- 1 night lodging at Hotel Las Mercedes in Managua
- 2 nights lodging at the Hotel Victoria on the San Juan River
- 1 night lodging at the Hotel El Convento in León
- 1 night lodging at the Montibelli Private Nature Reserve
- 1 night lodging at the Hotel Patio del Malinche in Granada
- All breakfasts
- All meals in El Castillo and Montibelli
- All mainland land transportation in private vehicle with a/c and driver
- All driver expenses
- Admissions to nature parks
- Assistance of an English speaking biologist guide
- All biologist expenses during the trip
- Private motorboat transfers:
- San Carlos – El Castillo
- El Castillo – Indio-Maiz
- El Castllo – San Carlos
- All boatman expenses during the trip
- Private motorboat or kayaks in Juan Venado
- RT domestic flight Managua-San Carlos-Managua
- Domestic flight taxes
- 17% hotel taxes
Rates & Booking Details
- All Nicaragua reptile tours are private.
- Nicaragua reptile and amphibian tours can begin any day of the year providing hotel space is available.
- Herpetology tour costs depend on the number of travelers in your party and visit dates.
- Please specify number of people and target dates when requesting a quote.
- Custom herpetology tour itineraries are available upon request.
Herpetology in Nicaragua tour does not Include
- Lunch or dinners when not at Montibelli or El Castillo.
- Guide on final transfer day.
- International flights or international airport taxes.
- Travel insurance, tips or medical treatment.